Categories
From the Web

Collaborative Annotations You May Want to Join – From Chronicle of Higher Education

woman and 2 kids read on couch

While we usually think about social media in terms of Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, some of the best work using social media in academia emphasizes the collaborative opportunities. In this post from The Chronicle of Higher Education, the author looks at using collaborative annotations in class and as examples of the ways scholars share knowledge. — The Social Mediums

I am always on the lookout for collaborative hypothes.is annotations – articles or sites out there that others have put out calls to annotate. I do this for three reasons:

I can use them as examples in workshops I give to faculty about annotation, and I noticed my colleague use them in individual consultations with faculty to showcase the tool;
I like to use them in my class so my students get to see the global potential of collaborative annotation; and
For my own professional development – I discover interesting reading material and it makes reading less lonely and often a richer experience, like an asynchronous reading group.

Here are some that are worth looking into:

#MarginalSyllabus

Marginal Syllabus “convenes and sustains conversations with educators about issues of equity in teaching, learning, and educations via collaborative web annotation using Hypothes.is. They organize monthly annotatathons taking place over a certain period of time (usually a few days) and you can know ahead of time which articles will be annotated on which dates. Check out their entire  2017/2018 syllabus here and you can plan to invite your students or colleagues ahead of time. Most recently, they’ve been annotating work on participatory culture in conjunction with the DML Conference.

Online Teaching Manifesto

If you work anywhere near the area of online teaching and have not seen the University of Edinburgh’s digital education team’s  Online Teaching Manifesto, you should probably take a look at it now. Creativity in the Open is an event organized by Tania Dorey-Elias which has a virtual “before workshop” component – including annotation of the Online Teaching Manifesto (on the conference site) and it already has a lot of rich annotations.

The Copenhagen Letter

I recently heard of the Copenhagen Letter (again, if you work in edtech and have not read this, you probably should) and decided to annotate it in class with my students and invite others to participate as well. This also has an interesting conversation going on.

Annotating Privacy Policies #DigCiz

Earlier this summer, the team doing #DigCiz proposed to annotate the privacy policy of Slack. I think this is a really useful exercise, and a way to help us all think critically about the terms of service and privacy policies of different tools we use – sometimes looking at how others have annotated a privacy policy will point us to things we had not noticed on our own (these documents are often inhospitable in terms of jargon and length, but can seem less daunting when you see how others are responding to them).

Are there interesting recent/upcoming annotatathons that you know of? Tell us in the comments

“Book Club– The Big Wave” flickr photo by betsywatters https://flickr.com/photos/h2os/2948130206 shared under a Creative Commons (BY-ND) license

Source: Collaborative Annotations You May Want to Join